Monday, May 14, 2012

Deuter Futura SL: Great Summer Pack

Planning on doing some day hiking with the kids this Summer?  I have the perfect pack for you, and just in time for the Season.  Check out this Futura 30L Pack from Deuter.  This pack is available in the women specific SL model, made to fit a women's body with a shorter carry system for shorter torsos, thinner straps and a contoured hip belt for a comfortable fit.  And for fun, it comes with a (removable) flower attached.  

This pack is loaded with details that make it function like a dream.  It has a fantastic Aircomfort ventilation system in the back to keep you cool, a lid compartment for those quick grab items like a first aid kit or sunscreen, and there's a toggle clip for your keys so those won't get lost floating around a big pack.  There's another zip pocket on the underside of that top compartment, perfect for your wallet and essentials like a headlamp.  There are side pockets with compression straps to reduce bulk, and an easy access front pocket for maps and energy bars.  I love the little pocket on the hip belt, perfect for my my phone.  The Futura has integrated trekking pole loops and an included rain cover located in a bottom compartment, I love this, seriously they thought of every last thing.

This pack is hydration compatible.  This never really mattered to me before, I thought I was fine with water bottles.  I've had Camelbaks before, I've used hydration packs.  But I have never used one that's integrated into a bigger pack.  I'm totally hooked now and can't believe there was ever a time I didn't do it this way.  It's just so much easier and more convenient.  Most packs have this capability these days, but there is something a little different about the Deuter hydration reservoir.  The hose detaches at the bladder, which means you don't have to take the whole thing out for refills, having to feed the tube through.  Much easier and faster this way.  It also simplifies filling it up at the sink, you don't have that hose in the way.  There's a velcro attachment on the inside of the pack to hold the reservoir in place. A  sliding clip as opposed to a screw top opening makes it very fast and easy to fill and to clean.  There's a little cover for the mouth piece that keeps it clean, and I've had no leaks at all.

There's plenty of room for the ten essentials, extra clothes for the kids, a picnic, and more.  I've taken this on two day hikes and it was super comfortable and exceeded my needs.  I really appreciated all the extra features and could easily be spoiled by Deuter.  Meticulous organization, a high tech cooling system, and plenty of water available, make the Futura an ideal Summer day pack and a great value.  Find it HERE